Saturday, November 10, 2007

With the holidays coming up…

I am in a rush to get my Christmas shopping done.
Ebay and online stores are all too happy to help me in my quest. I HATE going into stores, and even more-so, Malls. I don’t wanna be surrounded by crowds or stand in line waiting to spend my hard earned money on overpriced junk. I don’t want to have to walk 10 miles to find 2 gifts. So I shop online and have it all delivered. Can’t beat that for convenience!

I go to Dollar General and buy their best Christmas wrap. By Thanksgiving I have 26 gifts waiting for the Christmas tree to go up so I can once again get to the stuff on the top shelf of my bedroom closet. It’s fun being able to feel like Santa for a day. It’s even more fun to feel like a kid on the receiving end.

This year my youngest child is an official adult. I’ve decided in honor of her now being one of us underprivileged self-supporting folk, I am going to refocus my gift list. I will no longer splurge on spoiling the kids and spending more than I can afford to make them feel spoiled. Instead, I‘m going to spoil my spouse of 22 years. For far too many years he’s gone without so others could have more and I’ve decided it’s about time we shift to a new way of thinking. I know what it feels like to be one of the martyrs at Christmas. I’m sick of it and I dare bet he is too; Even if he’s too humble to say so out loud.

Well, I’m beyond being humble. I want to feel like a kid at Christmas again. I want to get gifts and have the magic that used to be Christmas land in my lap for a change. I don’t expect the kids to have enough maturity to want to repay the many years of expensive gifts and effort we’ve given them. But I do plan to reward myself for 34 yrs of sacrificing as a parent so that my kids would have a special time. I have bought a gift for dear hubby that will knock his socks off and put him into a state of shock. When he gets back in his semi the day after Christmas, he’s going to feel like he’s been upgraded from Economy Inn to a Hyatt Regency. He’s going to have an Inverter so he can power a microwave… a Tv and DVD player, a coffeemaker, or whatever else his big sweet heart desires. If he gets stuck in some Interstate rest area during a snowstorm he will be able to have a warm meal, entertainment, and a nice cup of coffee to keep him comfy. He’s done without far too long. It’s about time he gets something for himself! It will lift my spirits just to see HIM get spoiled for a change!

Bah Humbug children…
Merry Christmas life partner of mine.

2 comments:

Chaffy said...

I love this Tink!!! You need to take a picture or maybe some video of when he opens it and post it here. I'd love to see the look on his face! :)

GatorMommy said...

Ditto to what Chaffy said! I want to see his face when he opens it! :D

Good for you for spoiling him for a change. I hope he does the same for you. :)