Monday, November 5, 2007

Why my man won't carry my purse

Several years ago we had just entered Wal Mart when I realized I'd left my purse behind in the car and our only check book was in it. Hubby decided that he'd rather go get the purse than stand and wait for me while he tended 2 small children, so he dashed out to retrieve it for me. His longer legs would be quicker than my short ones anyway, so I agreed.

He made it out to the car, grabbed my purse, and was headed back to the store just as a carload of teen aged boys drove through the parking lot. The driver slowed down, stared at him, and in a very loud voice, announced to the others "Look at that fag in the cowboy hat carrying his purse!"

Hubbies face turned red... his pulse doubled... his temples throbbed, and if he'd have been wearing his six-guns, there'd have been a shootout right then and there! He glared, they sped off, and he half ran back to the store with the purse tucked under his arms where he hoped no one would see it. Entering the store, he saw us and literally THREW my purse at me. He was so mad he could hardly speak, but finally managed to tell me what had happened. I of course, being the loyal and supportive wife that I am, instantly got the giggles. Which just added to his fury.

We made it through the store and picked up most of what we'd come for, but hubby was mad as a wet hen and wanted nothing more than to get home. All the way home, he sat in stony silence glaring at everything and nothing. Every few minutes I would start to giggle again, which just made it worse. I really couldn't help it. It's like when you're in church and you know you should be solemn and respectful but someone does something dumb and it's ten times funnier than normal just because it's totally taboo. Once you start, it just gets away from you!

So here we are 15 yrs later and hubby still won't carry my purse. If I happen to forget it, he tells me that I can go get it myself. Short legs and all. ;)

2 comments:

Chaffy said...

OMG in the 10 years I've known you, I've never heard this story! Poor Greg.....but bwahahahahahaha!!!!

GatorMommy said...

Oh, that's such a great story - I'd be giggling like that, too. Absolutely!