Monday, November 5, 2007

First snow of the season

We had snow and sleet today with 50 mph winds; Mother Natures' warning to us that she's beefing up for what's to come. The ground's too warm for the snow to last, but it's not too warm to snow, so eventually the ground will cool off and the snow will settle in for the winter as well.

I am like an old bear.
I know the Wisconsin winters. Have lived through enough of them to know what's required of me if I want to survive and be comfortable. My freezer and pantry are stocked. I have fuel for heat and lanterns. I have batteries for the flashlights. I have 24 rolls of toilet paper. (Something I NEVER want to run out of!) I have evaporated and powdered milk so I can at least cook even if the jug goes empty. I have frozen bread dough so we can have sandwiches. I have cans of soup, packets of tea, cider, hot chocolate mix and an extra canister of coffee. I will not starve or go thirsty.

I have an extra blanket and my quilts on the beds. My winter clothes are out and ready to be wore. I bought a pair of polar fleece pajamas with pants and an extra pair of big warm slippers.
I now have my medications delivered by mail, and order them early so I always have plenty on hand.

I have bought totes so if my electricity goes out, I can put my food in them in the garage and it will stay frozen. I have stockpiled pet food, payed ahead on the natural gas, and have the snowblower and shovels ready for whatever may come. There's antifreeze in the car, books yet to be read, and good warm coats, caps, and gloves in the closet. We just added insulation to the house, sealed the roof, and wrapped the water pipes. All in all, I think we're prepared. As much as one can be anyway.

If worse comes to worse I will call all the dogs and make myself part of a puppy pile. 101 degrees of warm love and furry cuddles will always save the day.

Some dread winter, and head south like the birds. Others of us, like old bears, settle in; ready and willing to hibernate and ride it out until spring arrives.

No comments: