Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What kind of puppy chow or dog food is best?

I know there’s a lot of controversy about dog foods. I’ve read the reports, have checked into different raw food programs, and have had long winded discussions with vets, other breeders and pet owners. I’ve tried a lot of different foods over the years and for several reasons I always return to feeding Purina.
The recent dog food scare with products from China had no effect on Purina, but many other dog foods from the cheapest discount brands to the most expensive specialty foods were actually killing perfectly healthy dogs. Price was no guarantee of safety. So Purina proved to be a good choice during this crisis.
With Purina, my pups are strong, energetic, healthy and have a shine to their coat and eyes that speaks volumes to me. A Lab should shine like velvet. On Purina foods, mine do.
Purina is a mid-priced product, is easily found, and is tried and trusted. I start my pups out on Purina puppy chow at 3 weeks of age soaked in puppy formula. At 6-8 weeks they’re eating dry puppy chow and when they turn 18 months of age I switch them to Purina adult dog food.
My breeding dogs eat Purina. While pregnant my dams get beef liver a couple times a week, they get a daily Osteo-Form vitamin, and all the clean water they can drink. While nursing they’re fed Purina puppy chow, their daily vitamin, liver, and their food is top dressed with puppy formula powder. My dogs can feed a litter of 13 pups and never get thin or run down. I swear by Purina.

No comments: